Canker sores, also known as mouth ulcers or aphthous ulcers, are caused by poor diet, weak immune system, vitamin deficiencies, food allergies, and stress, among other things. They differ from cold sores in that they occur inside the mouth, cheek, or throat. Usually yellow-gray with a red border, canker sores cause burning and tingling and can sometimes be accompanied by fever and swollen lymph glands. Canker sores are not contagious, but they are painful, and they can last up to 10 days without treatment.
There are plenty of commercial canker sore treatments available over the counter, but why over-pay for medicines that will cause unwanted side effects.
Home Remedies for Canker Sores :
You could treat canker sores safely and quickly using the simple home remedies outlined in this article? Ready to find out what they are? Let’s get started!
1. Turmeric and Honey
Turmeric is a natural antiseptic which will fight the germs that cause canker sores. Honey soothes and heals damaged skin. This process reduces the pain & inflammation caused by canker sores.
• Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a paste.
• Apply to canker sore and leave on 5 minutes.
• Rinse with water.
• Repeat 2 times a day until the sore is gone.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. It will kill the germs that cause canker sores and relieve pain, swelling, and redness.
• Slice open a fresh aloe vera leaf.
• Squeeze out the gel.
• Apply it to your sore 3 times daily to prevent cancer sores.
• You can also use aloe vera juice as a mouth wash 3 – 4 times a day.
Coriander has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antifungal properties. It helps to reduce redness, pain, and swelling. Drink fresh coriander leaf juice and follow the process below.
• Boil 1 cup of water.
• Stir in 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds or few fresh coriander leaves.
• Reduce heat and let simmer 5 minutes.
• Remove from heat and let steep 10 minutes.
• Strain the solution and use it as a mouth wash 3 times daily.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is antiseptic and antibacterial, so it kills the germs that cause canker sores and reduces the pain.
• Mix 5-10 drops of tea tree oil into a glass of water.
• Use this as a mouth wash 3 times a day.
Sage has calming properties that relieve pain and sooth damaged skin.
• Boil 2 glasses of water.
• Stir in 3 teaspoons of sage leaves.
• Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
• Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
• Strain and use as mouth wash several times a day.
• Alternately apply powdered sage directly to your sore several times a day.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda neutralizes acid to relieve the pain of a canker sore.
Process 1 :
• Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with enough water to make a paste.
• Apply the paste to your sore.
• Leave it on 5 minutes.
• Rinse with water.
• OR Mix baking soda and warm water. Use this solution to rinse your mouth frequently.
Process 2 :
• Mix equal quantities baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and salt.
• Use the solution as a mouth wash 5 times a day.
Process 3 :
• Rinse your mouth with aloe vera juice.
• Apply baking soda directly to the sore and leave it on until it dissolves.
• Repeat 2 times daily.
The sulfur in onion dulls the pain of a canker sore and helps heal broken skin.
• Slice a raw, organic onion.
• Apply a slice directly to the sore and leave it on 3 minutes.
• Allow the juice to absorb into the skin.
• Repeat 3 times daily.
8. Cayenne Pepper
The capsaicin in cayenne pepper helps numb nerves to dull the pain of a canker sore.
• Apply a pinch directly to your sore and let it absorb into the skin.
• It will cause irritation at first, but this will subside.
• You can eat cayenne pepper candy to get relief from the pain.
9. Alum Powder
Alum powder accelerates the healing process by drawing fluids and toxins from the sore.
• Apply a pinch directly to the sore, leave it on a few minutes, then rinse. It will burn initially.
10. Clove Oil
Clove oil helps to numb the pain of a canker sore.
• Apply a few drops directly to the sore.
• Leave it on a few minutes and then rinse with water.
Other Tips for Treating and Preventing Canker Sores :
• Use toothpaste that doesn’t contain Sodium Lauryl sulfate (SLS), a foaming agent that may contribute to the re-occurrence of canker sores.
• Consume probiotics to ensure your body has enough good bacteria.
• Avoid acidic, salty, and spicy foods and others food like chocolates, nuts, potato chips, pretzels, certain spices, nuts, shellfish, tomatoes, lemon, citric fruits, etc., which causes the irritation.
• Consume vitamins C, B, B12, B-6, B-Complex, zinc, and folate (Folic acid).
• Be careful not to irritate a canker sore while brushing your teeth.
• Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
• Don’t chew gum while suffering from a canker sore.
• Cut open a vitamin E capsule and apply the oil directly to your sore to get rid of the pain.
• Eat fresh papaya and take papaya supplements.
• Apply lemon balm to the sore to relieve pain.
Have you tried any of those home remedies for canker sores? Tell us which ones worked best for you!
Source : diyremedies.org